A LONG FAMILY HISTORY
INSIGHTS INTO OUR HISTORY
INSIGHTS INTO OUR
Our history begins in 1899 with the settlement of our ancestor Sebastian Erbeldinger at the then “Monzernheim train station” in the local district of Bechtheim. Inspired by his first name, the district was locally called “BASTIANSHAUSEN” because he and his wife were the first inhabitants of the newly created settlement. This is the origin for the name of our winery.
THE FOUNDATION STONE
In 1935, Sebastian Erbeldinger’s son Jakob acquired part of the clay factory that was located in this small settlement. The purchase of the factory and the grounds it was on formed the basis for our present estate. Our winery was born! In the first years, the farmyard sold regional products. Bit by bit, however, the cultivation of wine was already being pursued even back in those days.
THE TIME AFTER THE WAR
In the early post-war period, the cultivation of the grapes became more and more intense and the first bottles were filled. According to stories, the wine was even smuggled across zonal boundaries in an ambulance with blue light to transport it inconspicuously, quickly and securely from the French occupation zone to the American.
THE BIG NEW BUILDING – 100% WINE
In 1972, the business was comprehensively expanded and made ready for the future by Sebastian and Edelgard Erbeldinger. Besides the new wine cellar and a new hall for machines, the first wine tasting room was also built to serve our growing number of customers. This was an important step towards 100% viticulture, which was finally completed in the early 1980s.
THE NEW GENERATION
After the wedding of Ilke and Ralf Erbeldinger, the time for new ideas and new styles had come. This decade was characterized by the modernization and refinement of the vinification of our wines. In 1993, we were able to celebrate winning our very first national prize – an award for the best wineries from the state of Rhineland-Palatinate for particularly high-quality wines.
Over time, the marketing of bottled wine was also expanded consistently.
The winery was given its new name “Bastianshauser Hof” in 1994 as homage to our ancestor and founder Sebastian Erbeldinger
The machine and bottling hall as well as the bottle and tank storage hall were completely expanded in 2001. A modern viticulture operation was built on over 1,000 square meters of new building space, equipped with the latest technology. We were thus prepared to meet the high-quality requirements of our modern times. Modernization of our 30-year-old wine tasting room followed in 2005. The goal was to create an atmosphere in which both young and old felt comfortable. The result is a tasteful room in which wine can be stylishly presented and tried – across generations.
The next generation is in the starting blocks with Theresa and Sebastian Erbeldinger: 100% commitment to uncompromising wine quality. Passion for wine flows in their veins as well. True to our motto “Three generations – One goal,” we will continue our quest for quality together. We look forward to new ideas and are not afraid to take new routes and develop our style even further.